Fundraising for Courage Classic
Each participant must raise a minimum of $750 ($500 for riders 18 and under) before the start of the Courage Classic Bicycle Tour. 2014 marks the 23rd Annual Courage Classic. Join us in our goal to fill the ride, and beat last year's fundraising. Last year riders earned an average of $1,100 per rider. Wow!
How do I raise the money?
- Ask everyone you know.
- Educate yourself about the Child Abuse Intervention Department at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital and how we serve the community.
- Create a fundraising page online.
- Send out a personalized letter and keep it short and sweet.
- Include a self-addressed envelope with all of your letters. We can provide you with pledge envelopes to make it easy for your friends and family to mail a donation directly to our office.
- Ask if the company they work for provides Matching Gifts. This is the quickest way to double your fundraising efforts.
- Remind them that their gift is tax deductible and we will send them a gift receipt after processing their donation.
- Be creative with ideas of how they can support you on the ride. An example would be .25 for every mile of the ride.
- After the ride, send thank you letters to all of your donors and provide them with ride statistics (total number of riders, total dollars raised, etc.) Be sure to include a photo of yourself having a great time on the ride.
All donations will be acknowledged with a letter or email for tax purposes if a donor address is provided. If you donate online and leave an email address, then the confirmation email is your receipt.
Fundraising with Matching Gifts
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions made by their employees. Some companies even match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses.
Contact your Human Resource Department to find out if your company has a corporate Matching Gift Program and how it works. If they do, pick-up a matching gift donation form (or a link to the online form) from your HR Department. Your company may match your donation as well as donations made by your co-workers if they also apply for matching gifts.
Be sure your name (rider's name) is written clearly on the form (paper or online). Enter it in the top left-hand corner and include Courage Classic Bicycle Tour. It is important to turn in the form at the same time you turn in your donations so that the matching gift(s) can be tracked. This is an easy way to double or even triple your funds for Courage Classic. Don't forget to encourage your donors to ask their companies for matching gift forms.
Checks may be mailed to us at Mary Bridge Children's Hospital, PO Box 5296, Tacoma, WA 98415-0296. Please be sure that Courage Classic and the rider's name is noted. Riders are asked not to send cash through the mail. Instead, please send a check to cover cash donations; if you include a note listing your cash donors' names and addresses, we will send tax receipts directly to your donors.